The Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario (FWIO) was organized in 1919, giving Members a stronger voice by working together as a united group. Through education and support programs and services, FWIO’s original focus expanded to include personal growth opportunities, government lobbying and health and community wellness projects.
Our most notable initiative, the ROSE (Reaching Ontario Sharing Education) Program, encourages our Branches to help increase awareness and expand the skill sets of both WI Members and people in their communities. As a result, each year thousands of individuals become more knowledgeable on various social, health, domestic and environmental matters through their participation in “ROSE Sessions”.
“The Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario is a not-for-profit charitable organization with affiliations around the world, working with and for women in Ontario. Through the network of Branches, we offer educational programming and community support; advocate for social, environmental and economic change, and work towards the personal growth of all women, for home and country.”
- "We envision an Ontario where women work together for safe, healthy families, communities and pursue an enriched and balanced lifestyle."
- Initiate Programs to Strengthen Families and Communities
We promote good family life skills through programs on family and consumer affairs and support projects such as recycling, improving parenting skills and encouraging responsible citizenship.
- Interpret and Record Local History
- Share Fun and Friendship
- Advocate for Change, Resolutions, Briefs and Letters
Develop and Hone Leadership Skills
- Identify and Act on Local, National and Global Issues
- Share a Voice with Women around the World
- Access to displays, brochures, promotional items, program material, leadership workshops and other resources;
- Access to a variety of scholarships;
- Liability insurance coverage at WI events for the attending general public;
- Hospitality Homes List where Members can stay for $15 a night, including breakfast;
- 10% discount on print and copy services at Staples;
- The opportunity for Members and their travelling companions to take part in discounted FWIO tours as well as savings when booking travel arrangements through FWIO partner, Collette Tours;
- Members receive 3 issues per year of FWIO’s provincial newsletter, the Home & Country ROSE Garden – 16 pages full of ideas and news about WI projects, activities and Members;
- Access to additional news and resources on the FWIO website available in the Members Login section;
- The opportunity for Branches to set up their own web page;
- The option to participate in District, Area and provincial level activities, conventions, workshops and conferences;
- A voice at the United Nations through representatives at various agencies, such as the Food and Agricultural Organization and the World Health Organization.
The Branch is the basic building block from which the organization has grown from its inception in 1897. Members belong to a network that connects Branches to Districts and Areas, as well as to the provincial (FWIO), national (FWIC – Federated Women’s Institutes of Canada), and international (ACWW – Associated Country Women of the World) levels of the organization.