BOOKKEEPER (Maternity Leave)
The Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario (FWIO) is a not-for-profit charitable organization, working with and for women in Ontario. Through the network of Branches, we offer educational programming and community support; advocate for social, environmental and economic change, and work towards the personal growth of all women.
We are looking for an organized individual who manages the accounting tasks for FWIO, including all bookkeeping and payroll, tracking of investments and preparing of government remittances. The Bookkeeper will work closely with the Finance Committee to ensure the smooth financial operations of the organization.
Skills and Experience
- In-depth understanding of the financial challenges of running a small not-for-profit organization.
- Experience and ability to design efficient accounting systems to match not-for-profit’s needs.
- Accounting Diploma with minimum 2-year full cycle accounting experience.
- Fluency with QuickBooks Accounting System.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access).
- Highly efficient and able to multi-task and meet deadlines consistently.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks with little guidance and time required.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain books and journals, including cash receipts journal, cash disbursements journal, accounts receivable and general ledgers, accounts payable, payroll and investments.
- Create and reconcile all additional mandated external reports.
- Balance cash receipts and makes bank deposits regularly.
- Create and reconcile monthly bank statements to accounting records.
- Track invoices to accounts, paying bills and invoices.
- Manage petty cash.
- Maintain a file system for all accounting documents.
- Perform all payroll functions, including managing staff timesheets, T4’s, and summary.
- Interpret financial results and flag trends and discrepancies.
- Complete month-end entries and prepares financial statements.
- Prepare financial statements for Board meetings.
- Track investment interest, sales and purchases.
- Monitor the financial results of new activities and projects.
- Prepare and present quarterly budget reports as needed.
- Analyze income and expenses for management and the Board to make decisions that will maintain the financial health of the FWIO.
- In conjunction with the President of FWIO, prepares a yearly budget for Board approval.
- Complete year-end schedules and prepare supporting documents for the auditor as needed.
- Assist an independent professional accounting firm to examine and prepare accurate Audited Annual Financial Statements.
Taxes and reporting requirements
- Create and reconcile all filings/payments as required by CRA.
- Ensure FWIO meets its tax obligations and reporting requirements.
- Process and report GST and HST regularly.
All applicants are asked to submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
FWIO welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Anticipated start date: March 3, 2020
Hours: 16 /week
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $20.00 to $22.00 /hour