How to Make the Most of Pumpkin Season
Oct 22, 2021
It’s pumpkin season! Have you been enjoying pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin pie? While we love those classic favourites, there are so many other ways you can use pumpkin too! From savoury to sweet, here are some ideas to help you make the most of pumpkin season!
1. Pumpkin soup. Being from the squash family, you can use pumpkin in the same way as any other squash! If you love butternut squash soup, pumpkin soup is also definitely worth a try! Check out a great recipe here: https://cookieandkate.com/creamy-vegan-pumpkin-soup/
2. Pumpkin stew. This classic stew is not only tasty, it looks amazing too – it’s cooked and served inside the pumpkin shell! It might just become a new family favourite! Check it out here: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-stew/
3. Roasted pumpkin seeds. If you’re carving pumpkins this year, this is a great way to use up the seeds! Pumpkin seeds make for a great healthy snack, and you can use a variety of spices to give them some extra flavour. If you’ve never roasted pumpkin seeds before, here is a recipe to get you started: https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-pumpkin-seeds-recipe/
4. Pumpkin bread. A good pumpkin bread is great with tea or coffee, and also as a breakfast treat! Here’s a recipe for an excellent spiced pumpkin bread: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/spiced-pumpkin-bread.html
5. Mini pumpkin cakes. Have some pumpkin left over from another recipe? These mini pumpkin cakes are a great way to use up the last bit of pumpkin in the can! These little cakes are baked in ramekins, and the recipe makes two but can easily be doubled. Check it out here: https://www.dessertfortwo.com/easy-pumpkin-cake/
6. Pumpkin muffins. These muffins have a crunchy streusel topping that adds a little something extra! Here is a link to the recipe: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/pumpkin-pecan-crunch-muffins.html
7. Pumpkin squares. These squares are a hit with my family every fall, and they are easy to make too! They taste like pumpkin pie with a shortbread crust! Personally, I adjust the icing recipe to use 1/8 cup of milk instead of ¼ cup for a thicker consistency, but it’s up to you! Check out the recipe here: https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/recipe/pumpkin-squares/201305052
We hope you enjoy these suggestions! What are your favourite ways to use pumpkin? We’d love to hear your ideas!
By Kate at FWIO